California judge orders cellphone owners to delete photos of missing teen
Posted On June 19, 2021
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) A California judge has ordered cellphone owners in the state to delete the photos of two girls who disappeared in the 1980s, and the state attorney general said she plans to file an appeal.
A judge ordered cellphone makers to hand over pictures of the girls who went missing in California between 1980 and 1984.
The case came to light after an anonymous tip led police to the remains of 16-year-old Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman.
The phones had been sold to the two women in 1982, and a lawsuit was filed against Apple and Samsung by the families of the missing teens.
In a ruling Thursday, Superior Court Judge Margaret McNeil said she was concerned about the privacy of the two girls and would issue a temporary restraining order to force the phone companies to turn over the photos.
She also ordered Apple and its subsidiaries to pay $150,000 to the families.
McNeil’s order comes a day after Apple announced it would sell a limited number of Apple Watch bands to raise money for the families, but it also said it had not yet made any decisions about the purchase of more Apple devices.